Thursday, March 11, 2010

Day 2 - Wine Explosion - March 9th 2010

It’s Tuesday morning. I get up and start my usual routine before work. Now all these massive earthquakes around the world have been freaking me out. (Be Prepared!) I made the brilliant decision to move my PF (primary fermenter) from the living room to the bathtub right before I left to work. My PF is sitting on a plastic shelve that was left over from my garden stand. Its purpose is twofold: 1) to raise my PF off the floor so it doesn’t absorb the ground’s temperature and to catch any dripping wine. The plastic shelf lying upside down has with side channels and 2) can only hold a small amount of liquid. In my mind, if the spout on the PF leaks, I should be okay but if the whole thing goes, I’m hosed. The only problem is when the PF sits on this shelf (which is currently upside down), it sits on 3 plastic support channels that are flimsy and with all these earthquakes recently, even a tiny one, this bad boy is going down. I can see it now; it tips over and spills all 6 gallons everywhere. It seeps down through my downstairs neighbors ceiling and the next thing I know, the swat team is kicking in my door because they think I’ve murdered someone. No Bueno. Bathtub, Check! I check the temperature of the PF - 70 degrees, check that the heater is on and set to 70, looked at the bubbling air lock for a brief moment (ahhh its working) then leave to work.

So, I get home from work and walk straight into the bathroom. OMG, I’m not sure exactly what happened but all I see is that the airlock is filled with wine (instead of clear sanitizing liquid) and wine droplets are everywhere. It’s as if my PF sneezed big time. The airlock cap had blown off straight off and the airlock is bubbling very consistently. All I can think about is that I am the luckiest guy in the world right now because A) my wife isn’t home to see this and B) my decision to move it into the bathtub prevented wine from spraying all over my walls and my wife’s new curtains.



This is what I saw when I got home















Close up















Temperature between 68 and 75, Check



















PF was originally sitting to the left of the bar. Notice wife's new curtains.

1 comment: