Thursday, March 11, 2010

Day 3 - Can you smell what the Barco is Brewing? - March 10th 2010

Okay, it's Wednesday. I get home after work and the house smells of wine. The first two days had no smell but today, I walk in the door and BAM, I got slapped with the smell wine confirming the fermentation process is rocking away. To regulate the temperature, I keep all the windows closed  and the heater set to 70 in my one bedroom apartment which locks in all the CO2 off-gas inside. I do have a venting plan if the smell gets out of control. The wife hasn't been home since Sunday night so I needed to air this sucker out. I opened our patio's sliding glass door for about 5 minutes and presto, back to normal. Since it was a little hard to shower with my PF(primary fermenter) taking up half the tub, I moved the it back out to the living room. It's sitting on the plastic shelf (right side up this time for stability) and I put a plastic sandwich bag loosely over the air lock to prevent any additional splatter on my walls.


Worries of ditching my first batch loom in my head however I am confident I kept everything clean. I just hope those campden tablets do their job.


And as I write this, the USGS shows Chile getting hit with several aftershocks, largest being 6.9.
Check out these links, Be Prepared!

http://http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/

http://www.oes.ca.gov/WebPage/oeswebsite.nsf/ClientOESFileLibrary/Emergency%20Public%20Information/$file/Checklist.pdf





No comments:

Post a Comment