Monday, March 22, 2010

Day 15 - 2nd Stage Day 7 - My Bubbles

Monday morning - 3.22.2010

I've been keeping a watchful eye on my bubbling purplish liquid. It's very cool to be able to see the wine in action but underwhelming at the same time because the fermentation process has slowed down. I love the reaction I get from people when they see my 6.5 gallon glass carboy sitting ever so calmly in my kitchen... and yes, it's still in the kitchen. I'd say the most popular response is - "What is that? What's in there?", then they say "Wow that's a lot of wine. Call me when it's done."

Like I said, I've been keeping a watchful eye on my wine. Every day I check the temperature in the morning and when I get home from work. Then I stare at the airlock and watch it go bloop. I've noticed that the frothy wine bubbles sitting on top of the juice have been disappearing. For minute I though about calling Captain Nemo and asking him to head up a search party into the depths of the unknown in order to find these lost bubbles, but lost his phone number. This morning there were practically no bubbles; no blooping in the air lock. The airlock initially was off gassing every few seconds but now it few minutes. I so wanted to drop in the hydrometer this weekend but am holding strong to the instructions of 8-10 days. Tomorrow will be the 8th day and when I drop in the hydrometer.

If any of you are interested, here are the wine making instructions from the distributer: in PDF format:
http://www.advintage.ca/english/instructions/celebration.pdf


Now I was thinking about the logistics of my next hydrometer reading. Once I drop it in, I won't be able to take it out because the carboy has a small opening at the top. So if the reading isn't between .998 and .990, it's staying in there. I'm also starting to think about what wine I'm going to use to top this off the carboy with. I love blended wines such as a Meritage so I'm thinking of using a sangiovese or malbec. I'll keep you posted.












No comments:

Post a Comment