Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 46 - Stage 3 Day 30 - Mini Fridge = Fail / Igloo = WIN

You may laugh at me for my methods but this is my story and I'm sticking to it.

For the last few weeks, my aging wine has been siting in my living room and is in desperate need of cooling. It ranges from 65 to 71 degrees but need to be steady between 50-60 degrees. I've searched craigslist and other avenues for either a cheap refrigerator or a mini fridge. I've actually checked out 2 people mini fridges but have come to realize that a mini fridges won't fit my carboy. There is a small indentation on the bottom rear (for the cooling motor) which won't let a carboy sit in there with the door closed. I also don't have a truck to get a fridge into my garage and there is no way in hell I'm renting one to move a $100 fridge.

Since my last post (March 5th), I've wrapped my carboy in foil, sat it close to a window and added a fan. The fan did absolutely nothing. Therefore it has been sitting there looking like a scene out of Signs... foil prevents aliens from reading your thoughts.



But NOW, I have stumbled upon something GREAT. Something of EPIC proportions. Something FREE99. My Boss first gave me the idea to insulate my wine when I started this adventure. He said to get either a foam or large igloo cooler and put my wine in there with bottles of frozen water to regulate the temperature. And what to my surprise did I find at my wife's mom house? A big ass igloo cooler!

WahBAM


KAPOW

It snug as a bug in there. I'll keep you posted on the difficulties of temperature regulation with frozen water bottles.

On a side note, I cracked the bottle of Rideau Sangiovese we bought in Santa Barbara. Got damn it was delicious! Best Sangiovese I've tasted thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment